Thursday, May 29, 2014

What have you learned?

بسم الله والحمد لله والصلاة والسلام على رسول الله ، وبعد

It has been reported from Shaqeeq al-Balkhee رحمه الله that he asked Haatim (al-Asam): You accompanied me for some time (now), so what have you learned?

Haatim said: (I have learned) Eight things:

1. As for the first: I looked at the creation (the humans), and everyone has something which is beloved to him, but when he reaches the grave, his beloved abandons him. So I made my good deeds as my beloved so that it accompanies me in the grave.


2. As for the second: I looked at the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿وَنَهَى النَّفْسَ عَنِ الْهَوَىٰ﴾

{and he restrained himself from impure evil desires, and lusts… } [Surah al-Naazi`aat (79): 40]

So I strove against myself in pushing away the desires till I was able to steady myself upon the obedience of Allaah تعالى.


3. As for the third: I saw that everyone had something which was precious to him and he safeguarded it. Then I looked at the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿مَا عِنْدَكُمْ يَنْفَدُ وَمَا عِنْدَ اللَّهِ بَاقٍ﴾

{Whatever is with you, will be exhausted, and whatever with Allaah will remain.} [Surah al-Nahl (16): 96]

So whenever I had something valuable, I turned it towards Allaah (i.e. gave it away in charity) so that it is preserved with Him for me.


4. As for the fourth: I saw that the people refer to (or boast about their) the wealth, noble lineage, or fame (and rank). So I looked at the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿إِنَّ أَكْرَمَكُمْ عِندَ اللَّـهِ أَتْقَاكُمْ﴾

{Verily, the most honorable of you with Allaah is that (believer) who has al-Taqwa} [Surah al-Hujuraat (49): 13]

So I worked towards attaining al-Taqwa so that I am among the honorable with Allaah.


5. As for the fifth: I saw people covet (envy) each other. I looked at the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿ نَحْنُ قَسَمْنَا بَيْنَهُم مَّعِيشَتَهُمْ﴾

{It is We Who portion out between them their livelihood} [Surah al-Zukhruf (43): 32]

So I left off jealousy (meaning: why should I be jealous of the blessing which Allaah provides to whomever He تعالى wills).


6. Sixth: I saw them having enmity towards one another. Then I saw the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿إِنَّ الشَّيْطَانَ لَكُمْ عَدُوٌّ فَاتَّخِذُوهُ عَدُوًّا﴾

{Indeed, Shaitaan is an enemy to you; so take him as an enemy.} [Surah Faatir (35): 6]

So I left off their enmity and treated Shaitaan as my sole enemy.


7. Seventh: I saw them toiling themselves. Then I looked at the saying of Allaah تعالى:

﴿وَمَا مِن دَابَّةٍ فِي الْأَرْضِ إِلَّا عَلَى اللَّـهِ رِزْقُهَا﴾

{And no (moving) living creature is there on earth but its provision is due from Allaah.} [Surah Hood (11): 6]

So I busied myself in fulfilling His rights upon me and I did not care for that which was with Him for me.


8. Eight: I saw them relying on their trade, their skills and their physical strength, so I trusted upon Allaah تعالى.


[Mukhtasar Mihaaj al-Qaasideen (1/24-25)]

No comments:

Post a Comment